Honoring Our Senior Veterans
At Hearthstone Senior Living, we admire the courage and sacrifice of the veterans who have served our country and are honored to have them in residence at both our communities.
Veteran’s Day is Sunday, November 11—a time for saluting these brave men and women for their military service. Hearthstone has these suggestions for honoring the senior veteran in your life:
- Offer your thanks. It seems so simple, but saying “thank you for your service” can mean a lot, no matter the veteran’s age. You can also write a letter or make a Facebook post, sharing your thoughts about what your loved one’s service to our country has meant to you.
- Fly the flag. Display the American flag outside your home or business for Veteran’s Day. Volunteer to come over and hang up the flag for an older veteran (or spouse) who may not have the mobility to do so for themselves anymore.
- Watch a parade. Consider bringing your loved one to Portland’s Veteran’s Day Parade on Monday, November 12. The parade starts at 9:30 a.m. at NE 40th and Tillamook. Organizers suggest taking public transportation and arriving early. Visit http://veteransdaypdx.org for more details.
- Lend a helping hand. Offer to come over on the holiday weekend to rake leaves, help with household repairs, or cook a homemade meal. (This is a thoughtful gesture your veteran will appreciate any time of the year!)
- Take them to breakfast. Here in Beaverton, a Veteran’s Day Pancake Breakfast is planned on Sunday, November 11, from 9-11 a.m. at the Conestoga Recreation and Aquatic Center. Vets and their families are invited to enjoy pancakes, sausages, eggs and juice—free of charge. Visit http://thprd.com for details.
Listen and learn
The stories that veterans can tell are so much more personal and nuanced than anything you’ve read in a history book. Ask an elderly vet about the history they lived. What’s their favorite memory from their military service? How did their time in the military impact the rest of their life?
Really listen to their stories and recollections. Make sure the younger members of the family know which relatives served in the military—so they can ask to hear the stories and offer their appreciation, too.
Recording your senior veteran’s story is a wonderful tribute, and can be a lasting, cherished part of your family history. The Veterans History Project collects, pre- serves and makes accessible the personal accounts of American war Veterans for future generations. Visit http://www.loc.gov/vets/ to learn how to get started recording your veteran’s unique story.
Giving back to our vets
Here at Hearthstone, one of the ways we show our support to our heroes in residence is by helping them get connected to the information, support and assistance they need to receive the veterans’ benefits they deserve.
We have considerable experience with the Aid & Attendance program, a monthly benefits program of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. This financial need-based program is available to qualifying wartime Vets (and surviving spouses) who have physician orders for regular assistance with the activities of daily living.
The tax-free funds from this pension can be used to pay for any kind of assistance, including assisted living.
Washington County’s Department of Disability, Aging and Veteran Services is also available to assist Vets in obtaining benefits, which may include disability compensation, pension, survivor’s pension and VA health care, among others.
Saluting every senior
If you stop by either of our Hearthstone communities this week, you’ll find visible tributes to the many veterans we’re proud to call our residents—and you’ll get a glimpse of the many ways we’re making a difference in the lives of every resident we serve, every day.
To experience our locally based, family operated communities for yourself, we invite you to call and set up a personal tour and lunch at Hearthstone. We look forward to meeting you!
12520 SW Hart Road
Beaverton, OR 97008
10880 SW Davies Road
Beaverton, OR 97008
Contact Our Communities
Hearthstone of Beaverton
Assisted Living | Short Stays/Respite Care
Hearthstone at Murrayhill
Independent Living | Assisted Living | Memory Care