Having a Happy Holiday in Senior Living
If this is the first year your elderly parent will be in a senior living community during the holidays, you may be wondering how to make sure the season still feels merry and bright. For many of our Hearthstone families, the holidays are a time of celebration, and we encourage you to include your senior in the festivities as much (and as often) as possible.
There are many ways to share the joys of the season with your loved one. In fact, the holidays in a senior living community can be every bit as fun, festive and meaningful as they were in the past. The key is being open to new ways, and new places, for celebrating.
Celebrate At Your Loved One’s New Home
Every year, Hearthstone “decks the halls” at both our Beaverton communities to create a festive atmosphere of holiday cheer. But there’s a lot that families can do to spread the holiday spirit even further.
Here are just a few of our favorite ideas:
- Decorate your loved one’s room (wreaths, garlands, and trees need to be fake)
- Watch holiday movies together
- Listen to their favorite holiday music
- Help them buy gifts for the grandkids (online shopping makes it easy!)
- Write and address holiday greeting cards
- Wrap gifts together, and help deliver them
- Do a holiday-themed puzzle, craft or coloring page
- Make their favorite holiday cookies or treats
Of course, your loved one may also enjoy getting “out and about” to other festivities. Make plans to pick your parent up and take him or her to activities such as church services, special holiday performances, and drives around town to see the holiday lights.
Be Open To New Traditions
Accepting that you may not be able to recreate the exact family holiday of the past can take a lot of stress out of this year’s celebration. Ask your loved one what he or she would most like to do for the holidays. Then consider new traditions that will work in your loved one’s new situation. Be flexible and remember that the most important thing is spending time together.
Here are three new traditions you may want to try this year:
- Open holiday gifts at your loved one’s community. Having the kids and grandkids all together is fun and festive, and your loved one can enjoy seeing the whole family exchange gifts. An added bonus: Your gathering will be far less stressful if your parent doesn’t have to drive or isn’t worried about getting too tired out with a visit to your home.
- Join in the fun of special holiday activities. Most senior living communities go all out for the holidays. Both our Hearthstone communities, for example, plan fun seasonal events to make the holidays extra special for our residents, and we love it when families join us! Just click to see the December calendars for Hearthstone at Murrayhill and Hearthstone of Beaverton.
- Help your senior host a holiday party in their new community. It can be an intimate gathering in your loved one’s new apartment or a bigger celebration in a larger room at the community. Consider a guest list that includes family, old friends, former neighbors, and new friends from your loved one’s senior living community. The refreshments can be as elaborate as a catered meal, or as simple and inexpensive as Christmas cookies and punch.
For most seniors, simply spending time with family and friends is the best and most meaningful part of the holidays. However you decide to celebrate this year, make your choices based on your loved one’s input, and consider his or her current physical and cognitive health.
Celebrating The Holidays At Hearthstone
As a family-operated company, Hearthstone Senior Living appreciates how important it is to keep loved ones connected during the holidays. With a genuine heart for serving seniors and their families, the holidays are truly a joyful time at our communities.
We invite you to come in for a personal tour and lunch, and experience the holiday spirit for yourself! We look forward to welcoming you soon.
12520 SW Hart Road
Beaverton, OR 97008
10880 SW Davies Road
Beaverton, OR 97008
Contact Our Communities
Hearthstone of Beaverton
Assisted Living | Short Stays/Respite Care
Hearthstone at Murrayhill
Independent Living | Assisted Living | Memory Care