Out & About
Hearthstone at Murrayhill Traditional Day Trips
Hearthstone at Murrayhill has its own traditional day trips that residents have come to love:
- Boat trips: Willamette River and Columbia River cruises on the Portland Spirit
- Gardens in full bloom: tulips in Woodburn, rhododendrons and lilacs in southern Washington, irises, dahlias; the Portland International Rose Test Garden, Portland Japanese Garden, Lan Su Chinese Garden
- Nature outings: Multnomah Falls, Cannon Beach, Jackson Bottom Wetlands, Tualatin Wildlife Refuge, Portland Swift Watch, Oregon Zoo
- Museums: Discover Center in the Dalles, Evergreen Aviation Center, Forestry Center in Tillamook
- Special shopping trips: Woodburn Outlet Mall, Albertina Kerr, Elsie Stuhr Harvest Bazaar
Additional regular outings include:
- Weekly Mystery Drives to nearby sights
- Weekly trips to the Harman Pool
- Weekly shopping trips to Fred Meyer
- Monthly shopping trips to Washington Square, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Dollar Tree, Thriftway, Safeway
- Seasonal shopping trips to Al’s Garden Center, fruit/vegetable farms, Goodwill, Value Village, JoAnn Fabrics, Michael’s Crafts
- Seasonal sports outings: golf driving range, miniature golf, Blazers game
And then there are the traditional social outings we build into our activity calendar: Happy Hour at Gustav’s and McMenamin’s, and lunches at residents’ favorite restaurants.
Hearthstone’s men’s group meets every Wednesday to play pool, participate in book readings, discuss current events, and watch a special interest film in our movie theater. During summer months, the men’s group has a tradition of going on some out-of-the-ordinary day trips.
Some past day trips have included:
- Evergreen Aviation Center in McMinnville (to see Howard Hughes’ Spruce Goose)
- Portland’s Forestry Center in Washington Park
- Exploring downtown Portland, with lunch at the Portland City Grill
- Rossee Possee Elk Farm in Molalla
- Exploring the many modes of public transportation offered in the Portland metro area – TriMet bus, MAX light rail, Portland streetcar, South Waterfront aerial tram — using the personal guide services offered by TriMet’s RideWise Ride Ambassador program for seniors.
Hearthstone’s women’s group meets every Tuesday morning for coffee and discussion of a topic of special interest. In addition to the Tuesday gatherings, different groups of Hearthstone women have organized their own favorite traditions, for which we provide transportation and staff support as needed:
- Red Hat Society outings
- Tea parties
- Card parties
- Jazz piano “jam” sessions
- Caring Quilters group
- Knitting and crocheting sessions
- Bible study
Out & About Snapshots
Want to see more pictures? Visit our Hearthstone at Murrayhill Gallery.